Toxic Scents are Serious Business!

candlesToxic Scents are Serious Business!

Are you the kind of women that finds relaxation includes lighting candles in all rooms around the house?  You stop and think, what a wonderful ambiance & aroma.  Somehow, over the years you have fallen intoxicatingly in love with candles.  And now you may find yourself unaware of the significant damage these seemingly innocent scents can cause.

Did you know, Paraffin candles can cause liver damage, leukemia and neurological problems?  Over time, the smoke fumes from the candles can damage our lungs.  Dr. Ruhullah Massoudi, lead author of the study, found that after just six hours of burn time, a paraffin candle releases a significant amount of dangerous fumes such as alkenes which are poisonous.   Benzene and Toluene, are also found in the residue from burning toxic candles.  Benzene is cancer-causing and toluene is toxic to the central nervous system.


Most Toxic Candles are made from the delightfully camouflaged byproducts of the oil refineries. They release carcinogenic chemicals when burned.  In fact, candle smoke laced with toxins can be as dangerous as cigarette smoke.(1)

So how about that special candle you are buying as a gift for your wife?  Yes, you too can be breathing formaldehyde and other chemicals, not knowing why you are getting those headaches or migraines.

It’s also common to find formaldehyde in cosmetic formulations such as shampoo, sunscreen, mouthwash, perfume, antibacterial hand soap, nail polish, and even products designed for children such as bubble bath.  Formaldehyde is banned from cosmetics and toiletries in both Sweden and Japan but it is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) in the U.S.   The bad news is, formaldehyde is a known carcinogen.

Some may ask, how can scents be so toxic?  In the U.S. fragrance formulas are considered trade secrets.  And the fragrance industry “self regulates itself”.  This means companies do not have to tell anyone, including the FDA what is in those formulas!


The Ramifications

Toxic candles may be keeping your heart sick.  According to a new study in Environmental Health Perspectives, a daily squirt of  air freshener or a few hours around a burning scented candle every day could be doing irreparable damage to our heart.  The findings were based on a long-running Swiss study on air pollution, and lung and heart diseases that involved adults over age 50.  The 581 adults involved in the study filled out questionnaires based on their use of cleaning products, air fresheners and other  household products, and then underwent 24-hour electrocardiograms so the researchers could monitor something called heart-rate variability, a marker of cardiovascular health.(4)

Endocrine Disruptors in our homes are masquerading as toxic scents. This means, perfumed ingredients from household sprays, dryer sheets, and detergents messes with our hormones. Exposure to high amounts of lead from toxic candles is also linked to hormone disruption, behavioral problems, and learning disabilities.


Cancer causing pollutants

Xenoestrogens are synthetic chemicals that mimic or interfere with estrogen in our bodies. They form a subset of a broader group of chemicals known as endocrine disruptors.  Exposure to xenoestrogens, have been linked to obesity, breast, colon and  ovarian cancers and to decreased testosterone levels, prostate cancer, and lowered sperm count in men.

Phthalates are endocrine disruptors.  They are chemicals found in cosmetics, scented candles, and plastics and can increase the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.  According to a 2012 study, individuals with higher phthalate levels had roughly twice the risk of developing diabetes compared to those with lower levels.(2) Using these products can interrupt our ability to loose weight.(3)

Additionally, there are reproductive toxins and neurotoxins, in cosmetics. Recent reports advise us, “makeup, shampoo, skin lotion, bleaching creams, nail polish, and other personal care products contain chemical ingredients that lack safety data!”(5) These may cause discoloration and  contact dermatitis,and increase risk for infertility and metabolic syndrome.

It’s time to trash toxins and use organic essential oils instead. Your wellness is determined by far more than just your genes.



All Rights Reserved








Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s